Tuesday 22 July 2008

Bit of a shit day

1) The Gaffa tape on the back tyre was covering a slightly larger hole than I thought. Left work yesterday evening, got 150 yards up the road and then the back tyre went flat. Pushed the bike back to work, had to get the tube to the station, and missed usual train home. Not a happy bunny…

2) Took handlebars home to chop and fit new brake levers (see below). Due to my lack of knowledge, I didn’t realise that 22.2mm diameter brake levers were not going to fit properly on a 23.8mm diameter road handle bar. I managed to open them out far enough to get them on, but this meant that the bolt holes were too far away and out of alignment, so I ended up stripping the threads on the holes.

Not forgetting of course that the existing road brake cables have teardrop ends rather than flat round ones, so don't fit the new levers.

Neverless the levers are in place and are actually jammed on tight enough that they don't move (much). This leaves me with 3 choices

A) Change the bars for a MTB flat bar - I have actually grabbed one of eBay for a fiver so this may still be an option
B) Change the brakes for some that fit properly on a road bar - seems a bit tricky to find though, and don't really want to spend the money.

C) Drill through the body of the brake and run a nut and bolt through the existing clamp holes to secure them properly - will probably try this first

Another trip to St.Pauls bike hut this morning for the following

Continental GatorSkin 700c*25 Tyre
Inner Tube
2 Brake Cables
Bar Tape

Leaving me £40 lighter - but at least I've got a decent tyre on the rear now.

I will be fitting the cables and taping the bar later today, so will try and put up some pictures when it is done - camera phone only though.

No comments: