Thursday 24 July 2008

Handlebars Mk 2

As you can see from the pics, I've had another go at the handle bars. I wasn't happy with the shape of the chopped road bars as I couldnt seem to get my hands on them properly - the curve was getting in the way.

This new set is made from a bog standard 540mm MTB bar that I picked up from eBay for a fiver (inc. postage!). I managed to close the clamps on the brakes back down far enough to make them a snug fit, unfortunatly I could only find one of the allen key headed bolts that they came with, so the other one has been bodged with an M6 bolt and a stack of washers. It's fairly well hidden though, so I'm not overly worried about it. There was enough thread left in the holes past the section that I mangled the other day to make the bolts hold properly.

I took about 7cm off each end of the bars. This is a happy compromise between being able to fit between cars, and still having enough leverage to pull properly up hills. I'm not a great fan of the 3" courier handle bar - I can't see that you have any real control of the bike. I know from experience that this length works well for me.

Don't worry about the string - it's just there to hold the bar tape down over the weekend as I left the finishing tape at work - not tempted to use ordinary black electrical tape as it slips and leaves a horrible sticky mess over everything.


No comments: