Thursday 10 July 2008

Fixie Conversion - Here we go

Here we go - I will be converting the bike in the pictures below into a fixed gear machine. This blog will track the bike's progress, assuming I can keep up with posting when things happen...


Why am I doing this ?

I currently live in Milton Keynes, and work in the city. I get the train from MK to Euston and back again, and need to get from Euston down to St Pauls. Having spent way too many hours standing in delayed, overcrowded and hot tube trains, I took the plunge last year and started cycling from Euston to the City. At first I was using an old mountain bike that I had lying around at home - but that got nicked from the bike racks at Euston when I left it there over a long weekend. My own fault for using a single cable lock I suppose, the new bike will have a big D-Lock and a f**koff big chain as well, so hopefully should be a bit more secure.

I've ridden fixed in the past, and was keen to get back into it again. Funds didn't currently allow the purchase of a new bike of any decent quality, so I am going the route of creating my own.

The Candidate

Shown in the picture on the left, this was bought on ebay for the princley sum of £28.
Good Points
  1. Reynolds 531 frame
  2. Good quality components - Mavic wheels on Shimano hubs, nice chain ring with seperate bolt on cranks, Shimano 105 group set
  3. BB, headset and wheel bearing all in good condition
  4. Nice leather? San Marco Rolls saddle
Bad Points
  1. No inner tubes
  2. No pedals
  3. Tyres a bit tatty and, in one place, held together with Gaffa tape
  4. Slight rust on frame
  5. No rear wheel skewer
As i bought this sight unseen, overall I'm reasonably happy. This could easily have been a crappy mass market bike with cheap components on it, so all in all I feel I've come out rather well.





5 comments:

Unknown said...

looks like you have a nice frame to start off with.
531 ftw

Matt said...

Hope so - it was my main reason for buying this one - the other good points were a bonus.

Unknown said...

Instead of buying a chain and a d-lock, buy 2 mini d locks. Kryptonite Fogetaboudit and the other mini Krypto they do. £70 -£80 for peace of mind. E-bay of-course.

Chains are useless, whereas mini D locks are the business. Hard to lever and get to.

Honestly, look it up.

The only chains up to the job are motorbike chains, which cost a fortune and weight a ton, literally.

Unknown said...

by the way i can't believe you bought a bike with 105 groupset, which is more than good, 531 frame, with butted tubes! and a rolls saddle !

The rolls is the icing on the cake. You lucky bastard :D

Unknown said...

is should have added for £28. great deal