Monday 21 July 2008

Thinking about gear ratios

Now that I have started riding this thing, I need to start thinking about the gear ratio that this is eventually going to end up in as a fixed gear. To help me I have been using the excellent fixed gear calculator at http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html.

My previous fixie was a converted mountain bike, running 42*16 on 26*1.25 tyres. This calculates as 67.3 gear inches. I found this ratio ideally suited to my fairly flat commute - possibly a little bit slow away from the lights, but a good speed on the flats and easy enough to get up the fairly small hills between the city and Euston.

This new bike currently has a 52/42 chainring on the front, and a 13-14-15-16-17-19-21 7 speed freewheel on the back, and is currently running 700c*25 tyres. According to the calculator the 2 nearest gear ratios to my previous set up are 42*16 (69.2 gear inches) and 52*20 (68.6) so these are the two I'm going to experiment with over the next few days. I may also have a go with 42*17 so see if a slightly smaller gear is easier on the legs away from the lights and up the hills.

Once I have settled on one of these the rear mech and lever and the unused front chain ring can come off, I'll shorten the chain, and will at least then be a genuine single speed.

Aesthetically I think I would prefer the smaller chainring to remain at the front, but this may bring chain line issues into play once I get round to putting a fixed gear wheel at the back.

No comments: